A urinary tract infection occurs in any part of the urinary tract. It can be the kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder, or urethra. Sometimes, the bacteria can also affect more than one part of the urinary tract. Generally, women are more prone to it compared to men.
To treat the urinary tract infection, your healthcare providers will prescribe you antibiotics. However, certain tips can also help prevent them. The common symptoms of urinary tract infections are burning in urine, blood in urine, and a persistent urge to urinate. If you have any of these symptoms, consult a healthcare provider. To get an expert opinion, you can visit the Best Urologist in karachi.
Why Are Women At Risk Of Getting A Urinary Tract Infection?
Women are at risk of getting a urinary tract infection compared to men. It happens because of various reasons. The common ones are:
- As compared to men, women have shorter urethras. Due to this, bacteria can travel to the urinary bladder with ease, leading to a urinary tract infection.
- Sexually active women are at risk of getting urinary tract infections compared to non-sexually active. Sex can also play a role in increasing the risk. It happens because the penis pushes the bacteria upwards in the urinary bladder.
- Using a diaphragm of a spermicide as a contraceptive can also increase the chances of getting a urinary tract infection. A spermicide can alter the pH of the vagina, which makes it favorable for the bacteria to grow.
- Menopausal women have low estrogen, which makes their vaginal tissues thin. When they get thin, the bacteria can enter the urinary tract system with ease.
- Women have the urethra and anus placed close compared to men. The E.coli bacteria from your stool can travel to the anus with ease and cause a urinary tract infection.
How Can You Prevent A Urinary Tract Infection?
Drink Plenty Of Fluids
Drinking plenty of fluids can help flush the bacteria from your urinary tract. When you do not drink enough water, the bacteria do not get flushed because there is not enough fluid. Also, you can find best probiotics for women that you can use to deal with vaginal infections.
Drink Cranberry Juice
According to experts, cranberry juice can help prevent bacterial growth in the urinary tract. Therefore if you are prone to urinary tract infections, incorporate cranberry juice into your diet.
Do Not Wipe From Back To Front
When using the toilet, do not wipe from back to front. Instead, do the opposite. Wipe from front to back. When you do that, the risk of E.coli contamination is reduced many times. Otherwise, it can travel to your urinary tract and cause an infection.
Empty Your Bladder After Sex
As soon as you are done with sex, it is a good idea to urinate because it can help flush out bacteria that may reach up into your urinary tract due to penis insertion. You can drink a glass of water before sex so that you have enough urine to urinate afterward. It might not seem good to get out of your partner’s arms to rush to urinate, but it can help flush out bacteria.
Avoid Using Feminine Products
Avoid using feminine products in your vaginae, such as deodorants, douches, powders, or other sprays. Many women use them to get rid of vaginal odor or to cleanse it. Your vagina can clean itself. Therefore you do not need to do that. Instead, by doing that, you put yourself at increased risk of infections. They can irritate your genitals and urinary tract. If you want to cleanse your organs, do that with plain water.
Change Contraception Method
Changing contraception methods may help in lowering the incidence of urinary tract infections. Using spermicides and diaphragms as contraception can increase the chances of getting a UTI. Therefore, if the same happens to you, change your contraception method. There are various other contraception methods. You can consult with your gynecologist about it.
The Bottom Line
Urinary tract infections need to be treated soon. Otherwise, it can lead to various complications. If you have any of its symptoms, you must seek professional help for it. Recurrent urinary tract infections might need long-term treatment. Take the medicines as your healthcare provider prescribes them. To get an expert opinion, you can visit a Best Urologist in Rawalpindi.